07 November 2009

Wild Flowers and Their Pesky Friends

Each year, in addition to weekend camping trips, my family typically goes on an extended outing.  We have our favorite places - Bear Lake tops that list, but for this trip we find somewhere new, somewhere we've never been before. This year we went to Franklin Basin. It is beautiful.

Our timing was perfect for enjoying the amazing wild flowers.  I have never seen wild flowers as prolific as they were in this spot.  I spent time wandering around our camp taking photos of the many colors and shapes. One afternoon my brother and his wife came back from an ATV ride and said I had to go where they had just been and bring my camera.

Because it would soon be dusk my cute sister-in-law and I raced back to the spot where they had been earlier.
It was breath taking.
Amazing.
Unreal.
Glorious.

I stopped and pulled out my camera, excited to try and capture what I was seeing. You can't take very good pictures with a helmet on so, I put my camera down and took my helmet off.  Immediately I was swarmed with hundreds, no, THOUSANDS of mosquitoes.  They were as prolific as the flowers.

I turned in a circle as fast as I could snapping shots, put my camera back in the bag, stuffed my helmet back on my head (now full of mosquitoes) and raced after my sister-in-law who had already sped away.

I'm pretty sure the haze in this photo is from the swarm of mosquitoes and not the sun. They say yin and yang  exists in nature - I believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment