07 April 2010

Business Trip


As I anticipate some upcoming business trips I have been reflecting on the adventures of previous work related travel.

Seattle
I traveled with two colleagues.  We were there for 5 days. I spent much of my time driving (the Seattle area has terrible traffic) around the state of Washington visiting various offices while my two colleagues conducted training.  We all stayed in the same hotel but for some reason our corporate travel office arranged for me to stay in a very nice suite with all kinds of amenities while my two male colleagues stayed in a different wing of the hotel. As we met for breakfast each morning to develop our plan for the day the discrepancy between our accommodations became more and more apparent.



Farmington, NM via Window Rock, AZ
I was scheduled to conduct some training in Farmington, New Mexico but along the way I was to visit our office in Window Rock, Arizona. I flew into Albuquerque and then drove to Window Rock. Up until then I thought the drive across Wyoming to Rawlins (I have removed the 'g' from my misspelling - my Wyomingite friend informed me that Utahns are always adding extra letters to the names of their towns) was the worst possible. My opinion was changed with that drive.

I spent a few hours in meetings in Window Rock, stopped at the local grocery store to grab dinner for the road and then just as it was getting dark I started out across the desert for Farmington.  I didn't have a map and was following verbal directions I had been given. For most of the drive in the pitch black I kept saying to myself, "I hope I'm going the right direction."


I was relieved when I finally spotted a sign indicating Farmington was some miles ahead. Once in town I checked into my hotel and then set out to find the small airport to pick up a colleague. While I had seen signs indicating the airport was near by I drove around and around a neighborhood of houses certain I was missing something. There was no way an airport could possibly be nestled in there. Turns out the neighborhood was on a bluff and indeed the airport was there.

It was one of the smallest airports I have seen.  My colleague and I returned a few days later to begin our journey home.  The person who checked us in for the flight was the same person who screened us for security and then checked our ticket before we boarded our flight.  There were only a handful of passengers milling about and when our flight was called all of them got in line to begin boarding.  We were led out to the tarmac where a very small plane waited.

The pilot met us at the bottom of the stairs and took our luggage. While we selected our seats and buckled in, he loaded the bags. He then boarded the plane and gave us safety instructions.  I believe there were 16 seats, a single row of seats on each side of the plane with a very small isle between. I happened to choose a seat next to the emergency door.  During the entire trip from Farmington to Phoenix air was coming in around the door - I was cold and miserable. On top of that the plane was so loud it seemed impossible to think, or read or sleep.  Obviously no snacks or beverages were served.

Las Vegas
Just minutes before a friend was to pick me up to take me to the airport  I discovered I had lost my drivers license.  I was able to board my flight by using my social security card and my employee ID badge (I called the airport to learn my options). But once I arrived in Las Vegas I was not able to get a rental car.  I was traveling with a male colleague and broke corporate rules by riding with him in his rental car throughout the trip. The ox was in the mire as they say and there were no other options.

In the stress of discovering my missing license I forgot to pack deodorant and hair products. I didn't feel like I could ask my colleague to drive me to the store. The hotel provided deodorant (men's only) but had no gel or moose. I spent the entire trip smelling like a man with very frizzy hair. On one of the mornings as I was getting out of the shower I slipped on the tile and fell to the floor nearly hitting my head. The thought of my colleague coming to find me when I didn't show up at the car was worse than any possible injury I may have received.

Newark
My travel companions included my boss and two guys from our IT department. I made the mistake of letting one of the guys set the itinerary. We were to arrive in Newark sometime before midnight, attend an 8 a.m. meeting the next morning, then catch a return flight that afternoon, arriving home around 10 p.m. so that we could be to work the next day.

My seat was near the front of the plane so I had no idea what was happening with my travel companions behind me.  A third of the way through the flight one of the guys came and sat in the empty seat next to me and explained that my boss was having chest pains. The attendants were monitoring his condition and an ambulance would meet us on the ground to take him to the hospital.  On the ground the other passengers were made to remain in their seats while the emergency crew boarded the plane to see to my boss. Once he was safely loaded in the ambulance the other two guys and I found our way to pick up a rental car and then drove to the hospital (in a very scary area I might add.)

It was decided that it would be best if I stayed in the waiting area (very scary I might add) while the two guys went to find out what was happening.  After waiting for some time it became apparent that my boss would be staying in the hospital. I canceled the hotel reservations we had close to where our meeting was to be and found another hotel close to the hospital. It was after 3 a.m by the time we checked into the hotel.

We had to be up and on our way by 6:30 a.m. in order to make our appointment. My boss stayed behind in the hospital. As soon as our meeting was over we raced to the hospital and then on to the airport to make our flight.  My boss left the hospital against doctor's orders and they refused to give him any pain medication. They had no idea what was wrong with him and wanted him to stay for additional tests. He was still in an extreme amount of pain and could barely walk. It was slow going until we found a wheel chair.  I carried his bag while the other two guys took turns pushing him as we raced through the airport.

I was looking forward to sleeping through the flight home but after sitting on the plane for an extended amount of time we were informed that there was a mechanical problem and we could get off the plane if we wanted while it was being repaired. I chose to get off while my colleagues stayed put. A short time later they joined me in the waiting area indicating that the plane could not be repaired and that it would take several hours for another plane to be secured.

I was crazy tired by the time we were finally able to board the plane over five hours later. By the time we arrived in Salt Lake I was completely dazed. It was 4 a.m. when I arrived home.

San Francisco
I flew down on Friday and returned home on Saturday.  We had completed construction on a new building and I was to represent HQ at the open house and dedication.  The open house was Friday evening and the dedication was Saturday morning.

After the dedication I had a few hours that I could spend being a tourist but as I made my way to visit the Oakland LDS Temple I started feeling sick. Most of my time at the temple was spent in the bathroom. I was feeling a bit better when I left for the airport but as I was driving around looking for a gas station so I could fill the rental car I started feeling sick again.  The area I was in was not the best but I was desperate to find a bathroom.


I pulled up to a gas pump and then raced inside.  There was a sign posted indicating there were no public restrooms but without me even saying a word the attendant gave me the key. I'm sure I was green in color. I'll spare you the details of the condition of the bathroom, I'll just say I've rarely seen worse. But I was desperate.

When I returned to the rental car and began pumping gas I was accosted from all sides. A man approached me and wanted me to pay him for pumping my gas. I refused. Another man approached and asked me for cash and when I indicated I didn't have any he pointed to the ATM inside. Again I refused. He wasn't happy but left. Then a van full of men pulled up on the curb and one got out, came over to me and asked for money.  At that point I didn't care if the gas tank was full I just got in the car and drove away.

I was still feeling sick by the time I checked in at the gate for my flight and I was just praying to make it home without making a scene. Thirty minutes before the flight was to leave, it was announced  that all of the passengers had checked in, the plane was ready and there was no reason to wait. When does a flight ever leave EARLY? I was so grateful.


With some of my previous business travel adventures I wonder what to expect from my upcoming trips. Luckily, I will be traveling with a colleague who speaks the language.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! um...yeah. Let's just say I hope this trip it a great one. Statistics are on your side.

    ReplyDelete