I recently attended a conference for my church. The focus of the conference was strengthening families. Much of what was shared didn't exactly pertain to me at this time in my life but I enjoyed the conference and tried to find ways that I could apply the council that was given.
For a portion of the conference an entire family were invited to speak. The two youngest members of that family shared some things that I thought were particularly intriguing. One teen shared that in their family, as they take turns saying the family prayer each day, they take a moment and share something positive about the person who will say the prayer. She said that since they started this practice they don't have trouble keeping track of who last said the prayer and each member of the family is eager to take their turn. I thought the parents in that family were brilliant to come up with such an approach. I'm not really sure how to apply this to me but I wanted to share it with my vast readership.
The other teen who spoke talked about how dinner-time is managed in their family. He said that a big rule is no distractions are allowed. No telephones, texting, or television. He also said they play the High, Low, What Do You Know game. They go around the table and each member of the family shares the best thing that happened to them that day, the worst thing that happened to them and something they learned during the day. I didn't really think this had application to me either but the more I thought about it I realized that I could apply this to my life by recording a daily list in my journal.
Here's my High, Low, What Do You Know for today:
High: With the help of my Dad, figuring out what was causing the major ruckus coming from my old car. We had a good laugh when we figured out a simple problem my mechanic had been unable to figure out.
Low: Leaving my parents house. I always feel sad when I say goodbye to family and friends - it means I'm returning to a quiet house by myself.
What Do You Know: It's important to have a ratchet set in metric sizes, as well as, traditional sizes. (A small ratchet set costs less than $5.00.)
No comments:
Post a Comment