15 December 2009

Thanksgiving (NOT) Fun!

I'm having a hard time feeling like it is the holiday season.  Thanksgiving usually kicks off the festivities and my Thanksgiving tradition is hosting a Pie Party the day before so that we can enjoy the pie without feeling like we are going to burst from all the turkey and stuffing.

I didn't have the party, the turkey, the stuffing or anything that is typically a part of the celebration. Instead, I had warmed orange juice and spent the day alone and miserably sick. My dad and a good friend both brought me plates of Thanksgiving fair but I just didn't feel like eating it.

To add to the misery my furnace quit working - on Thanksgiving day. It was five days before I was able to get a technician to come fix it. For those five days the average temperature inside my home was 54 degrees. I have a space heater so I moved the TV and computer into my bedroom and that's where I stayed. In addition to being sick, I felt trapped. Once the technician finally fixed the furnace I was handed a bill for $1200.

It was an awful way to spend the holiday and by the time I went back to work the following Tuesday I felt depressed. I felt like there was a big, dark cloud hanging over me, but, by Thursday things started to look up and soon the big, dark cloud was gone but not the horrible cough. It was another week before my normal voice returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment