At work I have been participating in what is called a 360 Review. It's a process whereby you receive anonymous feedback from your leaders, peers, direct reports, customers and anyone else you interact with on a regular basis. The feedback is analyzed and categorized in a way that helps you see your strengths and areas where you can improve.
I have always felt that there was a gap between who I think I am and who my colleagues think I am but I was totally surprised by just how far apart those two opinions are. I have a lot of work to do. It has been a great experience that has helped me realize some things about myself that perhaps I've known in the back of my mind but now they are right in front of me. I have a choice, ignore the feedback or make changes. I want to make changes.
Here's the thing, for the most part the feedback I received was very positive and encouraging. The gentleman who explained the results and helped me understand how to interpret it told me that how I view myself is nearly a "fatal flaw." Which means it's something that will keep me from advancing. He also told me that it's not a bad place to be, because, it is something that is well within my power to fix. He was very kind and reassuring and gave me several resources and ideas on how to approach my efforts over the next several months.
I'm grateful to work for a company that provides resources to help it's employees develop and grow in their career. The 360 Review process has been a very beneficial experience. Now, I just wish I could have a 360 Review for my personal life.
No comments:
Post a Comment