In the fourth grade a classmate told me I wasn't artistic. When the opportunity came to participate in an art contest I put tremendous effort in my project. I won the contest. In the fifth grade, I sat next to the person who had the best penmanship in the grade. Friends teased me about the difference between her writing and mine. At the end of the year I won an award for the most improved penmanship in the class. In high school I had a huge crush on a guy in my grade. When a girls choice dance was announced a friend told me I was too chicken to ask him to be my date. I asked him to the dance.(He declined but that's beside the point.) Moving to New York, going on a mission, graduating from college, moving to the capitol city, having a successful career are all things people told me I couldn't do.
I am, at times, paralyzed by my own self-doubt but for some reason when someone else expresses doubt I feel compelled to prove them wrong. Recently, I shared with someone a goal I would like to accomplish. I was hurt by the doubt expressed but in the days since I have been very committed to accomplishing my goal. So, if you could help me out that would be great - just tell me what you doubt I'm capable of - I could use the motivation to make improvements or changes in my life. I promise I won't be hurt for very long.

I doubt you can love yourself as much as I love you!
ReplyDeleteBrenda, I hesitate to say..I don't doubt you can do anything except to do something poorly...but I certainly don't want you to aspire to that. How about...I doubt you can balance all your roles in life, prosper, be healthy, and truly happy. I can pretend...right?!
ReplyDelete