28 February 2010

Perfect, finally!

I have tried many times to recreate the great taste and texture of the hummus found at my two favorite Mediterranean restaurants. This weekend I succeeded!


I realized early on that key to great hummus is to soak and cook the chic peas yourself rather than using canned. This time however, I did two things different, first, I cooked the chic peas a lot longer than the instructions on the package and second, after they were cooked and cooled I left them in the cooking liquid and put them in the fridge overnight. Which seems to be a happy accident since the only reason I did was that I didn't have time to finish making the hummus right then. It's quite yummy. I will be going to church with garlic breath.  

2 comments:

  1. How funny! I too have made homemade hummus. However, I have resorted to canned S&W Organic garbanzos since when I used raw chick peas that I soaked and cooked myself they did not soften sufficiently and it was a sad, sad failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also funny because I thought this was a photo of oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete