28 February 2010

Noni

Yesterday the smell of the food I was cooking and the cleaning products with which I was cleaning combined to create the aroma of my grandmother's kitchen. I was taken back in time.

The smell made me think of things I have not thought of in a long time. The big window in her kitchen that overlooked the backyard. The bottom drawer that contained toys. The taste of burnt toast and coffee. The blue Bible story books on the shelf. The strawberry patch out back. The huge apricot tree. The squeaky back door.  The rooster napkin holder on the table.

There were specific memories as well. Sitting on my grandfather's lap eating breakfast, sharing his coffee and watching the dog, Timmy, out the window. Sitting on the sofa listening to my grandfather read a story from the blue Bible books. The night my grandfather passed away. His funeral. I was six. I sat next to my grandma and cried into my coat. The sleepover when I successfully kept gum in my mouth the entire night. The shopping spree when my grandmother told me I could get anything I wanted. I selected bracelets, gum, and a can of 7Up. The sleepover when both my brother and I stayed in the basement back bedroom and didn't get scared. Trying on flannel nightgowns my grandmother was making for my cousins. Watching Harry and the Hendersons. My grandma laughed so hard she cried.  

Her name was Elsie Verona, she went by Verona but mostly people called her Noni. She had a wonderful sense of humor and a temper. She was generous and a bit feisty. She was adventurous. I believe I inherited my independent nature from her.

This is a photo I discovered a few months ago.  I love it! Although, when I look at her face I think I see heartache or worry. Whatever the emotion, she was lovely.

1 comment: