05 March 2010

This Week's Randomness

Spring - I try to go outside at lunchtime even if it is for just a minute or two. And, every day I carry my camera with me just in case I spot something of interest I can capture.  Mostly this winter has been very dull with not much to photograph.  In the last few days, however, Spring is starting to pop up and now there are far too many things to capture, complicated by the fact that wearing a dress keeps me from getting the best angle.

NYC - There's an attraction in New York City that I've heard is absolutely amazing, although, I've never met anyone who has been there. I've read that you should plan at least a day to take it all in and that it is a very hands on experience. I find myself visiting the website and dreaming about taking a trip to Manhattan just to see what it's really like.

Fitting It All In - I took a giant step and offered my resignation from a board I have served on for the past few years.  It was not an easy decision but one that is so needed. It's hard not to feel like a quitter but I also feel a huge relief at having one less thing in my life.

Reunion - Many years ago I served a religious mission to Australia.  It was a significant and defining experience in my life. This week my mission president, the gentleman who lead the missionary efforts in our area, called to invite me to help plan a mission reunion that will be held in a few weeks. It's been nearly two decades since my mission experience and in anticipation of reconnecting with many of the people I met there, I have reflected on some of the great experiences I had during my time down under. It also brought a tremendous feeling of gratitude from having been given such an opportunity. My only regret is that none of the sisters with whom I was assigned to work live close enough to attend - they are the people I would most want to see.

Willing to Work for Work -  In addition to my assignment to help with the little people at Church I also have an assignment to help the unemployed people in my stake (a group of congregations).  Each week I meet with people at the Church and try to address their specific needs as it relates to their job search.  Finding a job is hard work.  It requires a lot of effort. Sadly, far to many people are so discouraged that they don't do the things they need to do in order to be successful, which, then causes them to feel even more discouraged. I always hope (and pray) that I can say something to help them feel differently and develop a willingness to put in the work it requires to find a job.  

Breakfast for Dinner - Last weekend I spent time at my parent's home. My mom made me laugh so hard I cried and my dad made me waffles. Growing up, whenever we had breakfast for dinner it was because my dad was doing the cooking. There's some magic ingredient dads add that somehow makes plain old waffles taste delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment