- When I called to arrange for someone to come measure the window I was pressed to guess the size of the window even after explaining to the woman that I had no idea and was not at home to make a more informed guess. From my guess I was given an official quote.
- When the guy came to more accurately measure the window he showed up without a ladder (even though I was very clear when I called that the window was at least 15 feet off the ground.)
- He had asked the woman who made the appointment with me if he needed a ladder and was told 'no'.
- He left without measuring the window, indicating he was going to get a ladder and would be back. After an hour I called the company asking when I could expect him. I was told that I would need to re-schedule because it was a two man job.
- When I indicated I would like to reschedule I was told they would have to call me back because they were uncertain about when a two man team would be available.
- After not hearing from them for a couple of days I called them.
- After finally making an appointment and arranging to take another day off work, two guys showed up. One measured the window and recorded the measurements, the other stood and watched from the other side of the fence.
- Once accurate measurements were taken I received an accusatory voice message from the woman I spoke to originally (the one who pressed me to guess the size of the window) indicating the window was larger than I had told her and that I had failed to inform her that it had a grid? grate? (whatever the white things are that make the window look like lots of little windows) and with that they couldn't honor the original quote.
- When they came to install the window there were three guys and one ladder. One of them left to get another ladder. This time he actually came right back.
- They struggled to get the old window out and the new window in. They kept saying "this is a four man job."
- When it was over they had put a hole in the siding.
- Once the window was installed I prepared a check to pay them. The lead guy indicated that they didn't have the right paperwork and asked if I could drive over to their office to pay.
- I went to their office at nearly two o'clock. The door was locked and there was a sign on the door indicating they were at lunch and would return at one.
- After running a few errands, I returned. This time the door was unlocked and I found someone inside at the desk. After looking through several piles of papers she was unable to locate the invoice and asked me if I knew how much I owed. She then contacted someone to meet me at my house to look at the siding.
- After the guy looked at the siding he said he would get the materials he needed and then make an appointment to come back. I told him that there would be no appointment. I had already taken three days off work in this process and I wasn't taking another day - he would just have to come back and get it fixed.
- Now, several weeks later and the siding has not been fixed.
- I called yesterday to see why and to get an idea of how much it would cost to replace the glass in the screen door that spontaneously combusted last week. (I know you're wondering why I would consider making another purchase from this nutty place. Well, because it's very close to my house so I don't have to drive out of my way, and, I thought, "how bad could it be if I drop the frame off myself and then go pick it up?"
- Well, the gentleman who answered phone couldn't answer any of my questions. Finally he said, "I'm just helping out by answering the phone. Can I take your number and have someone call you back?"
- No one has called me back.
- However, when I arrived home from work this evening I had a voice mail message from one of their workers. The message went like this. "I had an appointment to come measure your screen door for new glass. I'm here at your house and you are not. You are going to have to reschedule your appointment."
08 June 2010
Nutty
I recently had to have a window replaced in my home. It's the largest window in my house and is about fifteen feet off the ground. The company I have been dealing with is NUTTY!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You're crazy!! I would have killed somebody by now.
ReplyDelete110% nutty. You're putting that very nicely.
ReplyDeleteYes, send a copy to the owner and to Gephardt. I'd love to see that one.
You have more tolerance and patience than one person is expected to have. Perhaps you could share and then I might have enough for one person. :)
Hope you get all your window problems fixed and honestly..hope you find a competent contractor.
Who are these people? Let me know, so I won't EVER have to go through this should I need a new window.
ReplyDelete