12 September 2009

9-11


The Today Show was following breaking news. I stepped into the room every few minutes to see if there was any additional information. As events progressed I just sat on the sofa and watched while still getting ready for the day.  I could hardly pull myself away when it was time to leave for work. As soon as I was in the car I turned on the radio, switching channels hoping for some additional news and became annoyed at those stations that continued to play music.

When I arrived at my office many of the volunteers were already there and watching the television. Because I am blessed to work for a faith based organization our morning routine included prayer.  As was usual, we gathered in my office. Some of the ladies wept while one of the men prayed. We had no clients all day.  I kept the volunteers busy with little projects they could do while watching the television.

The strangest part of the day was driving home. For a good portion of my route I would drive under the flight path of the airport.  On a typical day several plains would pass overhead, but, that afternoon, and for several days after, the sky was empty. It was eerie.

When I returned home that evening I sat on the sofa with my arms around a pillow.  I turned the TV on for a while and then turned it off, unable to listen any longer. I was rescued by a quiet knock on my door.  When I opened it, my good friends, Martin and Marie, were standing there. Holding up a box of pastries they said, "No one should be alone on a night this." We spent the rest of the evening sitting at my dining room table, talking quietly and sharing chocolate treats from a favorite french bakery. I will forever be grateful to them for their thoughtful reaching out.  It was a bright spot in a horrible day.


In the weeks that followed, American flags were displayed everywhere.  On my route to and from work I passed a business with three towers, between them huge flags were hung and when the flags tore because of the wind they were taken down and replaced.  Messages on business marquees and billboards expressed support for the victims and the rescuers.

Everyday at work I faced the lasting impact of 9-11.  Almost immediately there was an increase in the number of clients needing help. As people lost their jobs they would come into the employment center, dazed and confused.  Men who had been at the same job for over 20 years suddenly found themselves without income or a way to provide for their family. They lost their identity and any measure of self-confidence. They had no idea how to go about finding a job.  The last time they had looked for work there was no Internet.  Our challenge was to instill hope even though all around more companies were closing and buildings stood empty. I learned grown men do cry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment