09 September 2009

Monte Cristo


One of my favorite places is nearly 9000 ft above sea level and almost always requires a sweater or jacket. The quaking aspens and pines are thick and create a wonderful playground. Growing up, my family camped at Monte Cristo most summers. In August, I returned for the first time in many years.  My brother and his family invited me to join them for a weekend camping trip.  I welcomed the invitation, partly because I love Monte Cristo, but mostly because I love spending time with my brother and his family.

It was colder than usual and I was invited to sleep in my brother's trailer. I am certain I would have been miserable had I slept in my tent as originally planned.  I am not bothered by having my sleep interrupted by small children. 

One morning it rained, not a heavy rain, but more of a mist and at that altitude the clouds come down and sit right on the mountain top.  It was amazing.  While most everyone was still asleep I wandered around, camera in hand (of course), and marveled at the beauty and serenity. No picture could ever capture the experience of being there.

The best part of the trip was playing with my little buddy. We explored the forest, followed trails through fields of wildflowers, played hide-n-go-seek, ripped all the bark of a fallen log, rode his bike (well, he rode and I pushed occasionally) and played in "The Honda" which included a lengthy drive around and around the loops of the campground. He thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the front seat even though he couldn't see out the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment